Just a quick post to share my favourite bread recipe with you. I originally found this recipe on the side of a packet of Sasko Flour – since then I have tweaked it in all sorts of different directions, and each time the results are perfect. It is quick and very easy to make, and tastes delicious.
Brown Seed Loaf
3 1/2 cups (875 mls ) of brown bread flour
1 sachet instant yeast
1 Tsp (5 mls) salt
2 Tbsp (30 mls) honey or golden syrup – I used maple syrup flavour
4 Tbsp (60 mls) cooking oil
1/2 cup (125 mls) seeds – I used sunflower, poppy, sesame and linseeds
+/- 2 cups (500 mls) luke warm water
- Mix the seeds and yeast into the flour
- Add the syrup/honey and oil to the flour
- Add as much water as is needed to make a dough
- Turn it out onto a floured surface and knead until it is smooth and elastic
- Set aside in a covered dish to prove
- When it has doubled, knock back and knead again
- Place in a well-oiled or buttered loaf tin
- When the loaf has risen to the top of the tin, bake at 180 deg C, until golden, it should sound hollow when tapped.
This is also my campfire bread recipe – I use it to make bread rolls, or a proper little loaf baked in a cast-iron pot. I’ll be doing posts in future on exactly how to bake bread on a fire.