I looked at my piece of breakfast toast (Sasko Low GI Seed Bread – very good bread, if there’s no home-made bread available), the other morning and thought ‘this needs Lemon Curd’.
Now that’s not something I make often, since I’m the only one at home who eats it, but I think it’s very delicious. Of course, it must be homemade! So while I was busy in the kitchen, cooking other stuff, I also made a batch of Lemon Curd, and should you feel like some too, here’s my recipe. It’s dead easy, because it’s made in the microwave.
This will make about 2 jars of curd; to prepare your containers, stand them in a bowl, fill them with boiling water, and set aside until needed.
Microwave Lemon Curd
90 grs butter
180 grs castor sugar
juice and rind of 2 large lemons
3 extra-large eggs
- Melt the butter in a fairly deep microwave-proof dish, about 2 minutes on high
- Stir in the sugar, juice and rind – no pips, people!
- Beat the eggs thoroughly in a separate bowl – whisk very well, this is important to prevent pieces of cooked egg white appearing in the curd, which is SO nasty
- Add the eggs to the butter mixture, whisking well
- Cook on high 1 minute at a time for 5 or 6 minutes, whisking well after each minute, until the curd is thick and glossy
- Drain the hot water from the bottles, and ladle in the lemon curd, then seal tightly.
- Store in the fridge
Use lemon curd to sandwich a vanilla sponge cake, or fill mini pastry cases, as a topping on cupcakes or with cream on flapjacks. It’s delicious on hot toast, and (I’ve just discovered) really good stirred into Greek Yoghurt!
Microwave lemon curd – thats clever. Have never attempted making it – you always make stuff seem easier than it is, Zabwan. I am not a big fan of lemon curd but your beautiful pics are tempting me to try this recipe. Thanks, Z.
This lemon curd recipe really is that easy, Mitzi – you’ll see if you try it! Thank you for the comment on the photos 🙂
Now why have I stopped making lemon curd?! Thanks for the reminder and such a straighforward recipe. Will have to give it a go in the microwave, have never tried this before.
Lemon curd is such an easy and delicious item for the pantry. You’ll like the microwave version, I’m sure 🙂
I love my curd with yoghurt! Your recipe looks super easy 🙂
Lemon curd with yoghurt is an addiction for me 🙂 This recipe is so very easy, and flop-proof, Tandy.
Oh I make this too and i had forgotton all about it.. now I WANT IT! i do not have a microwave so i have to use the double boiler though.. yum, thank you for reminding me.. c
It’s a pleasure! Enjoy making your batch, C 🙂
So easy!! I love it!! never actually thought about making in a microwave?
It is so much easier to make in the microwave – virually flop-proof! Thanks, Angeliqueca 🙂