Here’s an interesting dessert to make next time you are camping. It doesn’t need much in the way of ingredients, the trickiest one being the frozen puff pastry, but that won’t take up much room in the cooler box!
Pear, Almond & Caramel Braai Pie
lightly oil a braai grid, for cooking your pie over the coals
1 packet of puff pastry, completely defrosted
1 small handful of almonds
1/2 tin of Caramel treat (caramelised condensed milk)
1 ripe pear or a few tinned pear halves
- Roll out the pastry (a wine bottle will do nicely as a rolling pin)
- Spread the caramel treat over one half, leaving a border for crimping
- Sprinkle with a handful of almonds
- Layer on thinly sliced pear
- Fold the plain half of the pastry over the filling, smear with a little milk around the edges, and seal well.
- Gently lift the dough onto the braai grid, and close and lock it
- Bake over very hot coals, turning frequently until crisp and puffed and golden
Slice and enjoy!
This method would work really well for a camping lunch-time, too – sprinkle with grated cheese, left-over braai meat, or a tin of something yummy, and cook a pie for lunch on the fire.
Let me know what you come up with!
Great idea, thank you 😉
We tried it out with a Butter Chicken filling.
You’re welcome, Tok! I love the sound of your filling….off to check it out! 🙂
Pingback: Camping Recipes | Tokeloshe
Yay! A no pastry rule pastry dessert! I’m making it this weekend!!!
LOL!!! Let me know how it comes out 🙂
>This looks super, even for a non-camping gal like me. I might try this on our weber or in the oven at home. 🙂