So………the other evening I was looking for something casual to make for a TV supper.
Then I remembered an old family favourite, a recipe that I got from my other sister (the one who lives in KZN) and which is marvellously adaptable. This is more of a really easy mince dish, than a pizza, but it is very good!
Here’s the recipe for the easiest dough I have ever made:
2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup oil, filled up with milk
- Place all the ingredients in the processor bowl, blend until a smooth elastic ball forms, less than a minute. (Or mix in a bowl with a wooden spoon until well blended).
- No need to roll out, just press into baking trays or pizza plates, forming a nice rim to hold the filling.
And here is the recipe for the filling:
500 gr beef mince
1 large onion, chopped
2 or 3 tomatoes, diced
Salt and pepper
Tin of mushrooms or asparagus (optional)
1 quantity pizza dough
- Fry mince and onions, add tomatoes, mushrooms and seasoning.
- Pour mince mixture onto pastry,
- sprinkle with origanum and
- cover with grated cheese.
- Bake at 180°C until done, about 1 hour.
Tip: I have substituted the tomatoes with a sachet of tomato paste, with good results.
As I said, this is very adaptable, so for this version:
- Fry onions, chopped celery and chopped garlic until soft, then add the mince
- When it’s browned, add 2 sachets of tomato paste, and stir through well
- Next stir in a handful of chopped fresh origanum, and 2 (fairly large) grated courgettes
- Add seasoning, fry gently to blend the flavours and soften the courgettes, then
- Pour onto the pastry
- Cover with mozzarella cheese
- Bake until golden
So easy, and delicious with a glass of red wine!!
I have on other occasions, also added a tin of baked beans to the mince to extend it (was feeding an unexpected crowd of youngsters), and made a double quantity of dough – fed 14 people that evening………..
What a fabulous fun recipe. It looks yummy!
Thank you Mandy, that’s a good description – fun! My girls loved making this when they were kids 🙂
It sounds like the perfect dish for Boykie and his friends on a visit!!
It’s an exellent dish for hungry kids – let them make the filling!!!!