If you end up with unexpected guests over the weekend, or a last minute invitation to supper, to which you say ‘what can I bring along?’ and get told ‘ooh, can you bring something sweet?’ – give this recipe a try. It’s bailed me out often!
1 cup self-raising flour
1/2 cup sugar
pinch of salt
1/2 cup milk
3 Tbsp butter, melted
1 1/2 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp honey
- Heat the oven to 180°C, grease a shallow cake tin or pie dish
- Place all the ingredients in a mixing bowl, stir together quickly with a wire whisk until thick and creamy, 30 seconds stirring tops, I promise
- Pour into the pie dish, bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown
- While the cake is baking, melt the sauce ingredients together
- Prick the cake all over with a fork, then pour over the sauce, smoothing it all over the surface
Make a quick dash to Woollies for a tub of their Double Thick Cream – a spoonful of this cream on top of warm Honey Cake as to be tasted to be believed, people!! Failing that, whipped cream or vanilla ice cream will also do the trick, or even just like that.