Cooler weather has finally made it’s way to our part of Kwazulunatal, with rain – I could almost imagine it’s the start of a Cape winter, or an English summer. Add to the cooler days a bad bout of flu, and I’ve started craving soup, my ultimate comfort food.
I really didn’t have the energy to make one of my usuals, like my Ouma’s bean soup, or a spicy dhal, or even a fresh vegetable soup, so I rummaged around in my fridge to see what was available and quick.
Turns out there was a smoked chicken breast in the fridge, and as I love any sort of smoked meat in a soup, that was my starting point for the easiest and quickest soup ever – 1 hour from start to eat, people! for a tasty, substantial, chicken soup.
Smoked Chicken and Chickpea Soup
a few tablespoons of olive oil, for frying
4 large onions, sliced
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 large smoked chicken breast, diced
2 carrots, peeled and grated
2-3 litres of chicken stock
1 tin of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy based pot
- Add the onions and fry them gently until they are soft and beginning to brown slightly
- Add the garlic and the smoked chicken, and fry, stirring well
- Pour in the hot chicken stock and add the grated carrots, stir very well
- Turn down the heat, and leave to cook until the flavours are blended and the stock has reduced. If it cooks away too quickly, top up with a little more boiling water or stock
- Add the chickpeas about 10 minutes before serving, and heat through
- Check the seasoning, and adjust if needed
- Serve with fresh white bread – or have it just like that – delicious.
What a lovely idea for a soup!! Thanks for sharing.
It’s a real pleasure! Thank you for visiting 🙂
This soup looks delicious – I love the combination of smoked chicken and chickpeas!!
Thank you, Pink!!
yum! I am loving the different ways to use chickpeas 🙂
I do seem to be on a roll, hahaha!!!! My family is starting to complain 🙂
This is would go down a treat with a slice or two of your Milk Loaf.
Haha!!! That it would 🙂