Eish. Life has been too busy again. The weekends seem to be as hectic as the days lately. But I thought before too many more days get away from me, I should add another one of my favourite recipes to my archives. I think that’s a really great thing about blogging – you end up with a permanent record of all your recipes 🙂
Whenever I ask AP what he would like for dessert, he answers ‘Caramel Apple Tart’ – and, fortunately for me, it’s one of the easiest puddings to make (and men always seem to love it). Also caramel is one of my favourite flavours.
Now, I think this is another of those puds that everyone in SA has a version of – I love this version because it is literally whisked together, tinned pie apples layered on top, baked and then the sauce poured over the top. The main ingredient in the sauce is a tin of Nestlé cream, which means that the ingredients for this easy pudding can be kept on hand; good for those unexpected visitors, or when you have to take a pudding along to a friend. It travels well too, I just pop the whole dish into a basket.
I got this recipe from the hostess at a kitchen tea many years ago – the friend I had gone along to the tea with was eating her third piece of it, while I was writing down the recipe! It’s become the pudding recipe I am best known for, so the time taken to scribble it down was well-spent.
Caramel Apple Tart
1 cup self-raising flour 1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup milk, or slightly more if needed 1 small tin Nestlé cream
1 cup sugar 1 tsp caramel essence
2 Tbsps melted butter
1 large tin pie apples
- Combine all the tart ingredients, except the apples, and mix well with a whisk to make a smooth batter.
- Pour into a greased baking dish, and layer the apples on top.
- Bake in the oven at 180° C for about 45 minutes, until golden brown and cooked.
- Remove from oven and pour over the sauce whilst still hot. I like to run a knife around the edges, and pull the pudding away from the corners, so that the gorgeous caramel sauce can slide in around the dish and soak into the sides, YUM.
- To make the sauce, combine all the ingredients in a dish to microwave or in a pot, and heat gently until the sugar is dissolved and cream is blended (use a whisk to get it perfectly smooth). This sauce is so good – the flavour of caramel with the apples is just perfect.
This pudding is delicious served hot with a spoon of really good ice-cream or chilled, just on it’s own. Enjoy!