Sometimes, when life gets gets really hectic, a quick and easy meal that just comes together easily and tastes delicious is such a bonus.
I came up with this beef mince combination the other evening, and it was tasty, economical, healthy and all in one pot – what more could one ask for on a busy week-day evening!
The flavours of slightly spicy beef and vegetables, (which give a slight nod to Morrocco for inspiration) and chickpeas all worked together so well, that I will definitely be making it again.
I served it with cous cous, which was very good, but it would also be great on rice, or with some fresh, hot ciabatta bread – oh yum!
Here’s the recipe, a Fired Up Cooking SA original:
Tasty Mince with Chickpeas (serve 4-6)
Oil for frying
1 large onion, chopped
1 brinjal, cubed
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
500 grs beef mince
2 baby marrows, sliced
1 small punnet baby sweetcorn
a handful fresh chopped coriander leaves
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
salt and freshly ground pepper
1 sachet tomato paste (3-4 tablespoons)
- Salt the cubed brinjals, set a side for few minutes
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based pot, and fry the onions until transparent
- Add the garlic, stir well
- Rinse and dry the brinjals, add to the onions and garlic, fry until softened
- Add the beef mince (you may need to add a little more oil), and fry until browned
- Break the sweetcorn into chunks, and add to the meat along with the baby marrows, stirring and frying a little more
- Add the spices and seasoning, and the tomato paste
- Stir through the chopped coriander
- Turn down the heat, and leave to simmer for a few minutes, adding a little water if it seems to be catching, so that it doesn’t burn
- Drain and rinse the tin of chickpeas, add them just before serving and heat through thoroughly
- Check the seasoning, and serve