I promised Frootcake a recipe for the best pap ever (no really – I mean – EVER), to serve at a braai she’s cooking for over the weekend – here it is, Froot!!
My daughter got this recipe from her mother-in-law, and it is just delicious served with braaied meat – actually, it’s pretty darn good just by itself too!
The twist on the usual sadza/meilie pap is the cheese and sweetcorn added to the maize meal – oh! and the fact that it’s made in the microwave!
This recipe will feed 6 to 8 people.
The Best Meilie Pap Recipe
3 cups of maize meal (I like yellow meal)
4 cups of boiling water
1 teaspoon salt
200 gr butter
1 cup grated mature cheddar cheese
1 tin cream-style sweetcorn
- Cook the maize meal in the water and salt on high in the microwave for 4 minutes in a large, deep glass dish or bowl (if your microwave is not a powerful one, you may need to cook it a little longer)
- Stir well to remove lumps, cook for another 4 minutes
- Add the butter (never margarine), the strong cheddar cheese and the sweetcorn
- Cook for another 6 minutes on high, covered (use cling wrap or an inverted plate if your bowl doesn’t have a lid)
- Leave to stand for 15 minutes before serving.
This is the creamiest, tangiest, most delicious pap you could ask for!