These jammy delights have been my eldest sister’s forte for years – her sons always ask her to make these when they go on holiday. It’s also a great recipe for kids to try their hand at.
This batch of Jam Fingers was just right with a leisurely Sunday afternoon cup of coffee:
120 grs butter (never margarine, people)
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 cups of cake flour
2 tsps baking powder
1 tsp mixed spice or cinnamon
apricot jam (or jam of your choice)
- Beat together the butter, sugar, vanilla and egg (I used my processor to make the dough – so easy)
- Mix together the flour, baking powder and spice, add to the processor, process to form a ball of dough
- Press about two-thirds of the mixture into a greased baking tray or dish
- Spread with apricot jam
- Form the remaining dough into a ball and grate over the jam layer (use a fork to spread evenly)
- Bake at 180°C until golden brown
- Cut into ‘fingers’ while still hot, allow to cool in the pan.
grate the dough over the jam
bake until golden brown
Any jam would be good in this recipe, one could make it more exotic by using something unusual. I love fruit mince, and had a bottle in my grocery cupboard, so I made my batch with half apricot jam and half fruit mince – yum!