I love fruit season and find the abundance of nectarines especially inspiring. So, for Sunday evening supper, some more nectarine-inspired ideas happened……….I tried out something I’ve been wanting to make for a while, but just never got around to, for no good reason. Here it is:
Gorgonzola and Nectarine Steaklets
8 minute steaks
2 ripe nectarines
1 gorgonzola cheese
Salt and pepper
Butter and olive oil for frying
- Heat the grill.
- Divide the nectarines in half, remove the pips, and slice each half into 4 slices.
- Season the steaks, melt the butter and olive oil, and fry them quickly.
- Lay the steaks on a baking tray, and place 2 slices of nectarine on each steak.
- Slice the gorgonzola thinly, and layer on top of the nectarines.
- Pop under the grill, until the cheese is melted.
The cheese should be just bubbling, the nectarine nice and hot, and the steaks crispy on the edges.
These were really delicious, worth making again, and I think serving one per person for a starter would be good too.
I served these with turmeric potatoes, here’s the ‘recipe’ (idea?) – scrub, don’t peel, some potatoes, then cut them into chunks, and boil until soft. Drain the water, and return the pot to the heat to dry the potatoes, before adding some butter, salt, pepper and a good shake of turmeric. Stir to mix well, and crush the potatoes. Yummy golden potatoes!!! And this method works well with chopped parsley instead of turmeric, too – sort of a cheat’s mash.