Coming up with a dessert to follow a wonderful meal cooked over a fire while camping can be tricky – the usual for us is a tin of peaches with a box of custard or just a bar of chocolate!
Here’s a dessert which is fun to make and also uses some ready-to-eat ingredients – it couldn’t be easier than this!!
Braaied Cake Slices with Hot Berries
1 packet of frozen mixed berries
sugar to taste
- Place a cast iron pan or pot on the grid over hot coals
- Empty the packet of frozen berries into the pan
- Add a little sugar to taste, and a tiny bit of water, if it seems like its catching
- Allow to simmer for a few minutes until soft and syrupy
- Serve spooned over the toasted cake slices
1 shop-made madeira loaf cake, or vanilla sponge
- Cut the cake into thick slices, to make it easier to grip with tongs
- Place the slices on the grid over hot coals and toast until crisp and slightly browned
- Arrange on serving plates, spoon over some hot berries
The fire gives the cake a lovely smokiness, and the slightly crisp toasted cake is just gorgeous with the tart berries. It was delicious – hope you’ll try it soon!
Pingback: How to Braai a Beef Roast « Fired Up Cooking SA
I love this!
I also do! Just imagine all the different toppings!
Wow, this sounds excellent!! I will make this on our next camping trip!! Everyone will be impressed!!
Awesome! I was impressed, too, with how nice it is, now I’m thinking variations…..
Mmm, sounds delicious!
Thank you! It was, and so easy too!