Here’s a dessert which is fun to make and also uses some ready-to-eat ingredients – it couldn’t be easier than this!!
Braaied Cake Slices with Hot Berries
1 packet of frozen mixed berries
sugar to taste
- Place a cast iron pan or pot on the grid over hot coals
- Empty the packet of frozen berries into the pan
- Add a little sugar to taste, and a tiny bit of water, if it seems like its catching
- Allow to simmer for a few minutes until soft and syrupy
- Serve spooned over the toasted cake slices
1 shop-made madeira loaf cake, or vanilla sponge
- Cut the cake into thick slices, to make it easier to grip with tongs
- Place the slices on the grid over hot coals and toast until crisp and slightly browned
- Arrange on serving plates, spoon over some hot berries
The fire gives the cake a lovely smokiness, and the slightly crisp toasted cake is just gorgeous with the tart berries. It was delicious – hope you’ll try it soon!